Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Delicate Bit of Brain-Food

As I was reading through some articles on ArtForum, I ran across an article for Ira Sachs' "Keeping the Lights On", a short film feature to be showcased in the 2012 Sundance Film Festival. He had the following to say:

"...not to be careful, not to be precious, to be messy, and not to worry too much about what your parents might think. A really important part of being an artist is trying to forget your mother, on some level."

In an interview for YouTube on behalf of Sundance he would also say the following, "Art is not a confessional."

Although this concept is not a new one, it reinforces concepts that were presented to me through my peers and professors (back in the day). Although art MUST be personal, it cannot be so private in matter that it cannot be thoroughly discussed, or objectively analyzed. I believe that this is a very real canyon in my natural art progression. Now... to build a bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment